Skip to content

About Copper

Copper is a chemical element with a symbol of Cu. It is a soft, malleable metal. Copper is one of the few metals that can occur in nature in a directly usable metallic form (native metals). The cultural role of copper has been important. Ancient Egyptians (2400BC) used copper for sterilizing wounds and drinking water.

On February 29, 2008, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved the registrations of five different groups of copper alloys as "antimicrobial materials" with public health benefits. The EPA registrations now cover 479 different compositions of copper alloys within six groups. All of the alloys have minimum nominal copper concentrations of 60%. The results of the EPA-supervised antimicrobial studies demonstrating copper's strong antimicrobial efficacies across a wide range of alloys have been published.

Copper and its alloys exhibit impressive antibacterial properties. Copper has been exploited for health purposes since ancient times. The process involves the release of copper ions (electrically charged particles) when microbes, transferred by touching, land on the copper surface. The ions prevent cell respiration, punch holes in the bacterial cell membrane or disrupt the bacterial coat, and destroy the DNA and RNA inside.

The process involves the release of copper ions when microbes (bacteria) were exposed to copper surface (land on the copper surface). It disrupts bacterial cell membranes. Copper ions prevent cell respiration, punch holes in the bacterial cell membranes. It generates oxidative stress on bacterial cells, and Copper readily catalyzes reactions that result in the production of hydroxyl radicals. And it also interferes with the proteins that operate important functions, thereby inhibiting their activities.

How does Copper work

Copper
Maintenance

Environmental factors can affect the activity of copper ions, it is recommended to wash Copperman with water, liquid soap, or dishwashing detergent. It is not suggested to wash with bleach or alcohol or any other chemicals. Please keep Copperman in a dry, clean, well-ventilated area. It is non-dishwasher safe.

Please clean the copper surface carefully. Any scratches will reduce the chance of copper ion contact with bacteria on the surface of the mask, thereby reducing the effectiveness of suppressing bacteria.

If the copper surface is tarnished, use a towel and vinegar to wipe the discolored part and leave it for one hour; wash with water, wipe the copper surface with a dry cloth and keep it dry.

If the copper surface is stained with acid or salt for a long time, or the Copperman product is placed in a humid place, it is prone to produce patina. Patina is a harmful substance. If patina has appeared after a period of use, please clean it up and take care of it as soon as possible.

To remove patina is to mix the salt with the same amount of vinegar, and then wipe it with a cloth soaked with the above liquid to restore its luster. Then rinse with water and use a dry cloth to wipe the copper surface to dry.